Thursday, April 7, 2011

THE SIXTH COMMANDMENT THOU SHALT NOT COMITT ADULTERY The obsession with sex clouds a deeper meaning of this commandment. We are quite willing to stop at the sexual explanation. I wonder what God would say about that. When I gave this commandment I did have faithfulness in marriage in mind Marriage is such a holy state that I wanted to impress on people its exclusive nature. However I did have a few other things in mind. You see adultery at its core is an act of injustice. By marriage the spouses mutually have the exclusive right to one another. This comes with the union which takes place when two people say “I do.” So by sexual adultery we deprive someone of this right. That is unjust. This exclusivity extends to other areas of the relationship. Spouses have a right to time, they have a right to feel they are the center of life, they have a right to emotional understanding and support. You see if you deprive your spouse of these you are being unjust. You are making yourself the center, you protect your time all of these are in a way adultery. Of course, there will be times when these things happen. What I am talking about is a consistent behavior. I wanted the same principles to apply not only to marriage but to all relationships. So much trouble could be avoided if people were faithful to the bonds of the human family. Even when it is difficult. Finally be faithful to yourselves. Remember who I have made you. Do not be unjust to yourself by depriving yourself of these gifts. This is really final, life is a great gift. It is not your sole property but belongs to other people. Do not take this away from them

No comments:

Post a Comment